I'm proud to announce that I've been invited to join the International Colorist Academy as an instructor. As part of this I'm running a Final Cut Studo based course on grading in Final Cut, Color and using Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite of plug-ins.
The International Colorist Academy (ICA) offers worldwide specific Colorist training, and favours a “hands on, not watching” approach. I'm running the first two of a series of grading courses at Ravensbourne in London in June and July 2011:
Grading in Final Cut Studio with Magic Bullet Plug-ins
Tutor: Simon Walker
This two day course takes you through colour correcting and grading HD video footage with Final Cut Pro and Color, whilst also highlighting workflow and speed improvements achievable with Red Giant Software’s Magic Bullet Suite of plug-ins.
Simon will combine training in colour theory with technical methods for applying primary and secondary grades, which will help you identify how to treat clips to convey a variety of moods to the audience, and how to add emotional impact to shots. This is a hands-on practical course, with time to practice grading techniques.
He will cover workflows for FCP and Color, practical advice for shooting with the grade in mind, strategies for colour correcting, technical advice regarding when to use Color and when to use FCP, as well as providing creative recipes for popular looks and grades.
He’ll also be comparing grading techniques in Color with the professional keying and masking capabilities of Colorista II, investigating time-saving slider-based grading with Mojo, exploring the tools and presets in Magic Bullet Looks, and showing how these plug-ins can work together to making grading more interactive and efficient on the Final Cut Pro timeline.
Day One (FCP & Color)
• Colour theory: how our eyes see detail and colour, and how it affects grading
• FCP: sequence set-up, colour correction filters in Final Cut
• Color: workflow, set-up, approaching a grade, primary corrections
• Color: secondary corrections, using keys and vignettes
• Color: creating custom masks and tracking footage
• Color: applying looks and styles in the FX Room
• Color: rendering, roundtripping, sending clips back to FCP
Day Two (Magic Bullet Suite)
• Colorista II: primary and secondary corrections, keying and power masks
• Mojo: applying popular film looks, keeping skin tones accurate
• Magic Bullet Looks: using the tools, applying looks, setting up presets,
• Denoiser, Grinder: strategies for increasing quality and reducing rendering times
This course is for people who want to:
• develop skills in colour correcting and grading in Final Cut Studio
• identify which controls to use to adjust different areas and colours in an image
• increase the visual quality of highly compressed footage
• apply film-like treatments to footage shot on popular formats (HD SLR, XD CAM)